Wow!! Time flies! Just after minutes of countdown, here I am, can’t wait to pen down my very first post of the year!!
Recently, I came across this really good blog on life goals and goals setting. www.getbusylivingblog.com . One of the Author’s personal posts was what he did in 2011 and what he would like to do in 2012. Not just this, lots of his posts are very down to earth and we could all easily relate to. Thumbs up to another great blog discovered in 2012!
Here are some of the most memorable events that happened to me in 2011 and Im also gonna list down stuff that I would really want to achieve in the brand new year at the age of 25!!
1. My little baby niece is born. I am officially an Aunt now at the age of 24. Got to be more sensible now I guess. Couldn’t really understand what role models are until when you have little ones in your family, you begin to really watch and notice your behaviour just in case a wrong benchmark or example is set.
2. Did makeup for 4 very talented young models from Poland, Brazil and Russia. A very good case study for me as well to understand more about Caucasian’s skin types and problem areas. First time collaborating with Calvin Klein. No joke man when you got to settle all 4 models while racing against time. Many thanks to teamwork by Jasmin and Alicia. Without a team, I could hardly make things work.
3. Had my official first car accident, knocking down not one but two Bollards. Trust me, I had totally no idea why I hit it. Was I dreaming? Was it raining heavily? But I am really very thankful to the 6 uncles who helped me lift and pushed my car while I stepped hard onto the accelerator. Thank you kind strangers. Thank God I hit Bollards and not humans. So there u go, behind every dark cloud, there is a silver lining. In this case, i got Bollards as my silver lining , peace!
4. One of my dearest aunt passed away suddenly at midnight due to heart attack. She had been one of the best aunt ever, who boiled the best soup, cared for the family most and having her passed away in 2011 after grandma’s in 2010 was totally unexpected. Losing 2 loved ones in 2 years straight is really something I hope will never happen again. Like the saying goes, Phone calls that are received early mornings or wee hours like after midnight usually hardly bring happy news. So true!
So these are my 2011 huge memoirs.
What about yours?
Last but not least, things that I want to strive and work harder towards are :
1. To learn to listen more than I should speak. The Art of talking is actually listening, don’t you agree?
2. To take care of my health. Health is wealth! To have food poisoning on a New Year Eve today certainly makes this a Number One 2012 resolution. Only when I am healthy will I have the ability to care for others around me.
3. To read more , write more and think more! 2012 is a year to focus sololy on WORK!! Being 25 is a step closer to 30. Don’t wanna wait till 30 to have a turning point. This is the year! To have more dragon courage to do what our gut feeling has always been wanting to.
Lets start planning shall we?
When you fail to plan, you are planning to fail already.
Its 2 weeks away from christmas!!
Originally I wanted to keep this article all the way for Christmas Release but then again I was thinking, why wait? Good stuff must be shared and must be shared fast, don’t u think? Even Shane Dawson is already posting his Christmas Previews on his upcoming videos!
This is the first ever interview I ‘ve done with someone whom I never met before ‘literally’ and someone who actually stays half the globe away from me. This is the magic of technology! The ability to link anyone from anywhere.
And the reason to this interview is because I myself enjoy articles from http://www.thinkchooselive.com written by Chris Barba himself. All along, I was thinking what else can be done apart from just tweeting in my facebook about good stuff that I learnt? Well, one of it : to interview the person who created the good stuff!! Challenging !!
It was a random click from a random site while surfing the net on a random day. My god, I was glued to the content eversince. At thinkchooselive.com I found lots of positive encouragement and life lessons to learn from. The best part is ? The Author is so young, where did he get his life experiences from then? It was also from Chris’s Blog that opened my eyes to FundAfield, Free Hugs and TOMS Shoes. It was truly amazing!! And from TOMS Shoes, I found another meaningful story like http://www.sendaball.com. Its like an “ecological chain” . It’s something leading to another. Therefore, one day (actually it was just last month), a crazy idea dawn upon me, why don’t just give it a try? Be a little brave, be a little crazy and approach Chris for an interview. Doesn’t matter if a rejection is there, most importantly I tried! This is life! Rejections are bountiful but we don’t limit our life because of this.
And the outcome? Success!! An interview has been cliched ! So what questions did my crazy brain actually asked? Here goes :
1) Hi Chris, you’re an event coordinator with Be Legendary, could you tell us more about Be Legendary and what do you do there?
Of course! Be Legendary’s mission statement is to live a life worth living. Our focus is to help people breakthrough to new areas of their life and fulfill their own unique potentials. We do this through the facilitation of our philanthropic based events. These events are designed to provide an emotional experience, life application, and a lasting legacy.
One of our more popular events is our Building a Dream, where participants work as a team to build bicycles for kids who have never owned one before. What they don’t know is that the kids actually arrive on site and they get to personally give these bikes to some very special guests! As an event coordinator I get to facilitate these events, work out the behind the scenes kinks and bumps, spread exposure through social media, and have done some speaking on behalf of the company as well.
It has been truly amazing working for this company!
2) I understand you majored in Psychology , what changes you to enter as an event coordinator with Be Legendary?
Ha – great question. So anyone who graduates with a psychology degree knows that you either go back so school or wind up getting a job in an unrelated field. I graduated with a profound sense of indecision so I decided to job search and work until I tailored my interest in psychology a bit more.
What’s been really great about working with Be Legendary is there is an organizational development component to what I do. This has certainly been a great interest of mine in the psychology realm. I absolutely love learning about the subject matter, and read a lot on positive psychology, happiness, decision making, and flow. Some of my favorite names in the field are Daniel Gilbert, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Jonathan Haidt, and Jonah Lehrer, just to name a few. So I definitely remain connected to my psychology upbringing and try and continually apply and tie in what I have learned to my work and everyday life.
3) I managed to view the clip too, it was priceless! The kids’ eyes literally sparkled as though they saw Santa. Any memorable behind-the-scenes ?
4) Being able to experience and accomplish so much in life at such a young age, do you have any advice to those who are still searching for their dreams, clueless about their future?
Well for starters I’m still as confused as the rest of us! I’m always asking myself what I want to do to live a life worth living. And the answer always seems to come at a crossroad of confusion. The piece of advice that has helped me the most is don’t look at your dreams as a destination, look at them as the journey. I think so many of us, myself included, have these ideas of grand achievements we want to occur in our future that we mistake predetermined accomplishments for life fulfillment and happiness. Instead make your dreams your journey. Whatever it is your chasing after, make it worth doing today. I came out of college with the dream of a PhD in psychology, but what I have learned since then is the reason I want it is simply to help people. Being nowhere near even starting my PhD, I still can live out my dream of helping others through my current actions. Everyone looks at it differently, but while some see the revelation of a dream as discrete point in time, I look at life and see a continuous evolution of who we are and what we dream for.
5) I think your team has definitely made a deep impact in Tommy’s life just as much as he has for you. He will probably look back to that ‘ninja moment’ in 10 or even 20 years down the road and this memory will put a smile on him for sure. Any plans or goals in mind for the next 5 years ?
I wouldn’t mind being on a beach in Hawaii sometime over the next 5 years! But as for goals, I keep a bucket list full of them. I’m actually in the process of applying for a year long internship working with Grassroots Soccer in Africa. They spread education and awareness about HIV/AIDS through the game of soccer. It’s quite a remarkable organization and they are doing some really powerful, meaningful, and fun work with a bunch of African communities. I’m also taking the GRE’s, an assessment test for graduate school, in December and am looking into some graduate programs in social psychology around the country. I would also really love to be fluent in Spanish. Me gusta Espanol. I’ve been talking a lot with Aaron Myers, a language learning pro, for tips and tricks on picking up a new language. Oh! And I really want to learn how to surf. I’ve read so many fascinating stories and autobiographies, like Jaimal Yogis’s Saltwater Buddha, on surfing, zen, and life, that I feel like I have a calling to take up surfing!
6) Last but not least, could you share with us your top 10 tips to staying fit, keeping positive and looking good?
Absolutely! My number one positivity mantra is j.k.livin. It stands for just keep living. No matter what happens in life embrace it. Love your fate, roll with the punches, and live in the moment. You have the ability to persevere and you will grow and learn from it. Just think, j.k.livin.
Through my ‘livin’ here are some tips I’ve picked up.
1. Happiness is a decision.
2. Being active is a great way to start your day! Even if it’s only for 5 or 10 minutes. Move around, celebrate the day, have some fun with life, and embrace your energy within.
3. Working out can become tedious, trust me I know. Routines are great, but don’t be afraid to shake things up. Exercise should be fun. You should look forward to it not dread it! Dance, take a class, run around, play sports, do some exercises you have never done before, make up some of your own! Be creative and have fun.
4. Life is in the laboring. It’s a hawaiian proverb that means that enjoyment does not just come from the prestige of accomplishing, but from the act of doing. Whatever it is you’re doing in life, make it enjoyable and don’t just do it for some distant destination.
5. Personality is just about the sexiest thing about person. It is this authenticity that I think we are most drawn to.
6. Do you. Whatever it is you are doing in life, let it leave the imprint of who you are. Don’t worry about following social norms or implicit rules. Just bring who you are to the table and don’t be afraid to stray outside the cookie cutter impression.
7. Perspective. Life is all about perspective. I’ve grown sad and angry and frustrated from a range of things that really are trivial in the overall perspective of life. There’s this technique that when you feel overwhelmed and stressed just imagine yourself being lifted up from your world like a helicopter into the sky. And down below you see all these problems and frustrations, but in the grand scheme of life they are tiny specs! Embrace what’s important and let go of the rest.
8. Be loose. Sometimes we can’t help be get uptight when we are nervous. When you loosen up things get 100x easier and you begin to feel a state of flow take over. I was running the other day, and was super tired, in pain, and really grinding my body to push on. I then reminded myself to just be loose and let my body coast on autopilot. Finishing my run still wasn’t a cake walk but i did it with much less tension.
9. Tie your shoes. The hardest part to doing something is breaking that initial friction of getting started. Take that first step because it will lead to the second. Whenever I go out for a run, I tie my shoes and don’t look back.
10. Lastly, I’m going to steal Nike’s slogan and say, Just do it. Conditions will never be perfect, so stop waiting for the perfect conditions. Get started and start now. There will always be a reason not to do something. There will always be obstacles, problems, and fear. But the difference between intention and action is you! So make things happen and stop waiting for the perfect opportunity!
So much fun doing this interview Kin may! You had some terrific questions.
As for end of the year stuff…hmm..I have the marathon coming up in a couple of weeks. I never ran 26 miles before so doing that should be pretty crazy! I’m also going to be doing a couple of Building a Dream programs in December. It’s going to be awesome to get kids bikes right before the holiday season. And there’s a small chance I might have a trip over to Africa to give away some of our sandals from our Sole Purpose event, where participants build sandals for the for the communities and villages.
What about you. How are you going to finish out 2011?!
Many thanks to Chris Barba for this amazing interview!
For more of his articles, do visit : http://www.thinkchooselive.org
Any upcoming plans for X’mas and New year next month? Am so looking forward to festive season. Every year, this period is the best time to “officially” give oneself a break from a whole year’s of hardwork. Once again it is time for goal setting! What’s your new year resolution? Never too early to think about it now.
Past weeks have been awesome!!
One of the latest projects would be a highly anticipated interview with a young talented writer , Chris Barba from New Jersey!
(u will find his amazing articles from http://www.thinkchooselive.org)
Come Dec, we shall all have a chance to read about his tips in staying positive especially goals setting part to youngsters out there.
Now the highlight : First of all, Many thanks to my model Carrin and her mum Christina! For their team spirit and dare-to-try-new-experience attitude! It was a great time doing the make-over for them.
Profile 1 : Christina is blessed with fair skin. At her age, skin condition is actually in tip-top condition with little spots or pigments.
Her tip is : Start skincare young. So all these investments do pay off afterall! Together with Artistry Intensive Repair Peel masque just after 8 mins, her skin glows with radiance and foundation sets easily on her skin. Coz usually normal to dry skin has a problem with ‘cakey’ or ‘ cracky’ foundation.
Profile 2 : Carrin , like her mum is blessed with fair skin with hardly any outbreaks. Her only main concerns are her eyes area which start to show signs of puffiness and dark circles. Last but not least, Carrin is also aiming to uplift her cheek area, giving it a more supple & toned feeling. These can be improved greatly by a facial massage known as Guasha . (Which will be featured in upcoming post soon)
However, we both went further into a more fiery, wilder look for her. A total huge contrast from her soft nature style. A heavier touch on the grey and black shadows to give smoky eyes and red hot lip color! Viola!
& CURLS DO MAKE WONDERS!
Tip of the day :
Don’t be afraid to discover the wild side of you!!
Hi Guys, do you think men need make up?
I’ve a few guy friends who are actually into concealer and BB cream. Some faithful ones even keep a full set of skincare products ranging from cleanser, toner, eye cream, repair serum, night cream to scrub and masque. Plus a good routine of supplements for their health and skin, bravo!!
Gone were those days of discrimination to guys with cosmetics, even Justin Bieber touches up sometimes. I mean come on, by putting some extra something onto your face doesn’t mean anything right? You just want to look good at the end of the day and I SALUTE you for that. By looking good, you feel good and work gets good too!EVerything just seems better :)
Yesterday I was at a grooming class and trust me, nearly one quarter of the class was made up of guys. Here are some behind the scenes when they were being taught what foundation actually is. I admire their learning spirit really. For them to learn make-up and skincare products is like me learning software programming or reading musical notes. (Equally challenging!!) Haha! But really, I can’t help but giggle to myself when I see them analyzing the foundation applied onto their hands. I mean, you don’t ‘analyze’ foundations, do you? So there you go , thumbs up to these boys !
Here, we have a dragon boat coach, chef and a fresh graduate. cheers!!
They study the foundation…
And then they smell it. really meticulous.
Tips: basically you just need to choose a suitable tone. You wouldn’t want to look like Mr Bean but with a tanned neck. Usually concealers are great for your dark eye circles. But please use a proper make up remover. If you’re outdoor most of the time, never hurt to have a sunblock with SPF 30 and above, you’ll thank me when you don’t see your pigments popping out.
Freckles are cute, but when these little spots joined arms and become little patches, I can’t imagine any reason for you to smile.
If you have other good advices to share for men & make up or any interesting encounters you came across, looking forward to hear them too!
People in their 20s are usually in the “Exploration stage“, which means they can explore, look around & try new adventures without much commitment. This applies to both career and love. Being young is basically the best trump card. But hold on tight my friend, for this TRUMP CARD has an expiry date. It does not have lifetime warranty. Once it exceeds 30, that’s it!
For those in their 30s, it is a “Go – Getter stage“. By now, your career path should have been more or less fixed. You can foresee yourself walking along this path for the next 10 – 20 years until your retirement and you are going to be the Master of your trade. This stage may also lead you to your first car, house or even wife! For singles out there, this is really the time to enjoy your single-hood; you should be earning comfortably, driving your dream car and travelling to countries for lovely spas and crazy shopping! Most importantly, the freedom of going anywhere without having to report to anyone.
40s is what I call it “GOLDEN ERA” where you will be enjoying your fruits of labour from the past 10 years. You upgrade your Nissan to a BMW, your 3/4 room flat to a condo/semi D. Unfortunately, Life can also be really extreme sometimes don’t you think ? The rich will be richer while the poor will be poorer. If you have not been planning properly since young neither have you been working hard, this is the “WORRYING ERA” for you, where you will worry if your ricebowl is stable, if your health is good, if your bills can be paid on time etc. Not forgetting your parents’ health will also be compromised at this point in life and they might need your care most. But if you are constantly tied to your job, how is it possible to actually divide your time out for them? But then again, without a job, where do I get the income to feed my family ? Irony isn’t it?
50s and above : It will be awesome if you can afford to retire happily, healthily and debt-free. Most importantly, you are a rare gem if you still have dreams to pursue. As age increases, the size of one’s dream amazingly decreases. Someone I know once said he felt so embarrassed to hear that a 72 year old still harbors determination to pursue his dreams in life; whereby for him, he just wanted to retire at 30 without worrying for bills. Does Life really consists of only financial freedom? What about health freedom? Family freedom?
What do you think ? Where do you see yourself in the next 5 to 10 years?
As the old saying goes, if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail…
Today, this little post is going to be dedicated to all ladies out there. As the old saying goes: There are no ugly girls, just superbly LAZY ones!
Tell yourself each day that you are amazing!
You are kind, you appreciate even little things in life, you help, you cheer and you listen. You aim, you plan, you protect your love ones and most importantly you upkeep your good values & promises to others.
If you’re single still, trust me, your other-half is looking for you the same way you are looking for him. When time is right, everything will come in place. Might be Love from a far-a-way land, you never know. Meanwhile, instead of waiting for ‘the one’ to appear, let’s do something to doll yourself up first.
Looking good is not about being vain, it is about self respect and respecting others. It brings you confidence and this confidence influences your working attitude. When you feel you look good, you tend to work better too. Try wearing no make-up, unkempt hair, shorts and slippers to work, you will understand what I mean.
In these recent years, fake eye lashes have taken 21st century over by storm. Many are wondering how exactly do we paste that little lash onto our eyes? How do we remove them? How long can it last? Will it harm my eyes or lash long term? Here comes some help to my dear ladies out there~
1) Have really good foundation set as base. Especially around the eyes area, use lots of loose powder to smooth out any rough surfaces. Loose powder helps reduce patchy foundation and enhance the durability of your eye make-up too.
2) apply your favourite eye shadow colour (a tinge of shimmer white/pearl white is always my must-have; brightens up your eyes lots!)
3) next, start with your eyeliner (if you are using the liquid eyeliner type, just remember to pre-shake the bottle a little. For crayon eyeliners wise, always press some dark chocolate or black eye shadow over it to reduce smudging.)
4) Finally , here comes your fake lashes application. Trim a little by the corner to have the lash length fit to your eyes.
Tip is : Trim, glue, blow and hold for 40 sec to 1 min, stick, hold, push and blow again.
5) there you go, Lash job done!! ps: do not save on lash glue and lip-eye remover please. Trust me, you won’t regret. Bad glues gives possible bad-skin-day!
I recently taught some ladies the above 5 steps and some very amazing results came out. Notice the difference? It was fantastic! My friend Alicia was like : My God!! Finally, managed to put it on! PHEW!! But to be honest, as hard as it may sound, you will somehow feel kind of accomplished.
Alicia: My god!! -.-!!
Me: You can do it!! Jia you!!
viola~~ well done ALicia! And thumbs up to you Linda!! Proud of you girls!
All I can say is :
Eyeliners are one of the BEST INVENTIONS made in history! It adds in the spark to her eyes immediately! & definitely cost lesser than cosmetic surgery.
Be a credible person. Say what you mean and mean what you said.
Do what you love and love what you do!
Cherish today, learn from yesterday and look forward to tomorrow.
If you have dreams, go for it! Keep trying! Don’t give up!
One day, when you reached the peak, all past efforts and hardwork will be worth
it! Believe and be positive!